Sunday, September 28, 2008

Trip to Minneapolis

Luckily for my participation in this week's challenge, I got to travel to Minneapolis for a couple days to do recruiting for my company. They put me up in a swanky hotel downtown where I had some lovely "birds-eye" views from the 14th floor.



This one is actually a panorama taken from the elevator lobby (my room faced the other side). I stitched it together using the new Microsoft ICE, but I didn't do any other modification. I made a daytime panorama too, but it doesn't capture the view nearly as well as the one at dusk.



My hotel room had a great view of the neon guitar from the Hard Rock Cafe Minneapolis. I slowed the exposure way down to get the cars to blur, but I didn't have a tripod so I had to hold my breath and press the camera lens against my hotel window to keep it steady.

3 comments:

Steve Losh said...

What are the two orange ovals in the upper right of the sky (in the panorama)? Lens flare, reflections, UFOs? I'm curious.

Paul said...

Although it is obviously a photo from a great height, the first doesn't convey that as the point of the shot so much as a sense of immensity. It's neat, though. Especially if you look at it close up.

The second shot is cool because it contains the Hard Rock sign as its point of context, but also plays with that -- we're so far up that the guitar looks small enough to be an actual guitar! I like the interaction between the neon of the sign, the incandescent street lights, and the moving vehicle lights. Fun photo!

Unknown said...

So, I love MN, so this set definitely appealed to me. I really like the panorama, especially because it's the first one posted here on SnapSluts! But also I like that it was taken at dusk; it makes the glass from the buildings really catch your eye. It's like they're a canvas within a canvas (ooh, meta!). It's a beautiful view and nice job on the stitching. The Hard Rock guitar photo is pretty nice; I wish that you had gotten more street in the shot. Other than that, it's a great photo.