Sunday, September 28, 2008

Paul's "Bird's Eye Views"

I tried a few attempts to submit a photo from within a grocery store's freezer unit, where my camera was perched upon a bag of Birds Eye frozen food. But I couldn't arrange the photo well enough to look interesting.

I also tried to take photos of birds' eyes in nature and came to the realization that nature photography takes ... skill. So, I went to a pet store instead. My first candidate is from that visit:





And I did try to use some perspective tricks to take some photos that would appear to have been taken from the height and vantage of a flying bird, which led me to include my dog once again in my second candidate:





Here are the rest of the photos I took this weekend as I was thinking about this challenge: Paul's Snapsluts Challenge 2 Photos

6 comments:

Megatron said...

The detail and crispness on the brown bird is really nice. I just wish the blue bird had also been nice and crisp, it's a little distracting for something that is so prominent in the frame to be out of focus.

On the second shot, the idea is a good one, but I think having some branch in the lower part of the frame might have helped with the "perch" feeling you were going for.

Paul said...

Meg's like a mindreader. Those are exactly the things that frustrated me about these photos. I gotta find that user's manual... and patience...

Unknown said...

Photo 1: I like birdies. I agree with megatron especially because the out-of-focus one is also the brightly-colored one.

Photo 2: I wish Dru were bigger. I get the feeling that the "bird's eye" is trying to spy on her, but with her being so small, she's kind of an afterthought.

Steve Losh said...

I actually like the out-of-focus bird, because it's in the foreground. You see photos all.the.time. with something sharp in the foreground and a blurry background; a change from that is really refreshing.

I'll be the user's manual for this: the bird is out of focus because it's in the foreground and the aperture wasn't narrow enough to make it crisp as well.

I looked at the EXIF data on flickr; the aperture was f/3.4. Even with a focal length of 28mm that's going to give only a small slice of focus/depth of field, especially when up close.

If this was in a pet store, there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Flash is out, upping the ISO would make it too noisy, and any longer shutter speeds would make the birds blur if they moved.

But again, I like that it's not in focus. I think it breaks a common habit of today's photographers and does a good job of it.

Megatron said...

it's official, steve losh and i are just never going to agree on anything. :P

Paul said...

fight, fight! wait, no... let's settle this on the dance floor... like they do in movies!

:-D

(P.S. I keep getting great feedback from both Meg and Steve so I hope they keep disagreeing about my photos and I get twice the learnin'!)