Thursday, September 25, 2008

Bird's Eye View of my Viewfinder

I wasn't able to enter the first challenge, so I may as well start off the second.  This week I bought a medium format film camera.  Unfortunately I can't photograph something, get the film developed, scan it and edit it in time, but I wanted to use it somehow, so I did the next best thing.

My new camera has a waist level viewfinder, which means it points straight up.  These photos were taken with my digital camera pointed straight down at the viewfinder, which means you're seeing the image of whatever's in front of the camera, the camera body itself, and whatever the camera/tripod is sitting on.

ttvm-6885

ttvm-6906

5 comments:

Snap Sluts said...

Hey Steve, thanks for contributing this week!

The only thing is that we're trying to limit people to two pics per challenge so that it doesn't balloon out of control. Think you could choose two out of your three?

Sorry about that but hope you don't mind.

Steve Losh said...

Ah, sorry, I thought it said three for some reason.

Megatron said...

The simplicity of the second shot just draws me right in, and the colors are beautiful.

Bravo.

Paul said...

I think I would have liked the first photo more if the view inside the viewfinder had excluded the floor, so that the area around the viewfinder would be framed by the brown (wicker?), but the image within wouldn't have had that brown element at the bottom. But I do like that wicker-y element around the device.

The second photo's combination of the moving waves captured so sharply within the clean lines of the viewfinder's frame is alluring. And the contrast of the natural scene within the mechanical device is also fantastic.

But neither of these photos really made me think of the challenge so much as "downward" or "redirection". On their own, I like them very much, but not so much for this challenge.

Unknown said...

What I fun idea! I really love these photos. The colors are beautiful, and I love that the viewfinder almost glows with sharpness, and really draws your eye in. I almost want to put my face to the screen to see if I can look through the viewfinder. Well done.